Wednesday, August 14, 2013

¡Cumpleaños Feliz!

It is a distant memory what it was like to have an August birthday not spent sweating through Summer Band or preparing for school to start.  This year I turned another year older on a random, unspecial, middle of the semester, cold Tuesday (although Martes trece is bad luck... But other than that).  Leave it to Chile to surprise me.
Birthdays are a big deal here.  I've realized little by little how big of a deal.  Chileans have an uncanny ability for making you feel special for just being born.  Everyone makes a grand gesture out of "saludando-ing" and if they forget and accidentally say "good morning" before "happy birthday" complete with hugs and kisses and wishes for all of your dreams to come true, they apologize profusely and feel guilty.  My co-workers brought a muffin with candles along with tons of little gifts, everyone asking how I was going to celebrate.  The kids all raced to hug and kiss me first.  The 4th grade girls drew a giant cake on the whiteboard that I was to "consume". By slowly erasing it... Obviously.

After school, I went with Valentina and her mom to her house for our weekly private lesson. At some point, she whispered that it was my birthday and the mother stopped to pick up a cake on the way.  She then made Vale sing happy birthday (in English of course).



Gifts from my co-workers have continued to appear on my desk for a week.  Then today, my sneaky 8th grade class threw a late surprise party for me complete with homemade cakes (by the girls) and Eminem--- yes the rapper (by the boys).  


Overall, I have to say "Bien Hecho Chile" for making 27 an adventure and my first week of 28 so special.  Also... Thanks for the long weekend... That was awesome too.

No comments:

Post a Comment