Wednesday, November 21, 2012

"The Land of Blas"


We had a weekend jam-packed with Onces, lunches, dinners and most importantly, Spanish conversation. We had the opportunity to meet many different "friends of the family" that we hadn't had the opportunity to spend anytime with yet in Santiago.  It was a weekend that proved, yet again, how welcoming Chileans are to friends.  (If you'll remember, I've made comments before about how strangers treat strangers... I stand by that.  I'm still amazed by the oblivion people exhibit on the streets); however, everyone we spent time with over the weekend welcomed us as family.  The best part about meeting more Chileans, aside from the wonderful food and feelings of belonging, is the opportunity for me to practice speaking Spanish.  I got a slight ego boost from these new people as I told them how long I'd been here and they proceeded to make facial expressions displaying both approval and astonishment at the fact that we were having a conversation at all.  To me, it is hard to feel the improvement, because every time I improve more, I have more things... more complicated things... that I want to express that I can't.  Vicious cycle for sure.  

We spent Sunday with the Lorca-Suarez family at the "land" owned by my darling suegros. (Notice that I said Lorca-Suarez family and not just Lorca.  This comes from the fact that in Chile, women do NOT change their apellido to that of their husband.  Children have TWO last names-- Dad's then Mom's, making Michael's name in Chile, Michael Stephen Zenteno Hellinghausen... woot!  More importantly, the first day we were in Santiago, Michael made the mistake of saying the "Lorca" family to Isabel (the mom of this family) and her reaction was quite classic.  Also, I explained that in the States many women take the name of their husband and then kids have the man's last name only to the fellow that takes my license every day at the Institute in exchange for a keycard granting me access to the second floor, and his reaction was, and I quote, "Que fome!".  I agree sir... it is a little bit lame-o).  Anyway....
We spent the day a little bit South of the city in the country, breathing smog-free air and gazing at incredible views.  "The Land of Blas" (I just named it that) is stunning.  One of the men that lives near their property met Michael and immediately called him Blas 2, and then allowed us to use his Quincho for a BBQ.  Excellent choice of neighbors.  










 Notice how I caught Michael in the picture twice... Creeepy.


In other news... WE BOUGHT BIKES!!  The weather is perfect right now, and it turns out you can explore at a much quicker pace on a bicycle.  Thanks in part to an early Christmas gift from my parents, we took a trip to Mall Sport and returned with the nicest bikes we've ever owned.  It doesn't seem silly to own a Mountain Bike when there are... you know... mountains, and we've already explored a lot of the neighboring comuna, La Reina in our first week.  Aren't the precious??



On Monday, during my Spanish class, I did a presentation on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, which I only then realized is actually this week. (I think the anticipation for Thanksgiving is directly related to the anticipation for time away from the children.. in the past). The reaction of all the foreigners in my class to the concept of Black Friday was hilarious.  

Also, I described the distance of something in "kilometers" to a girl in my class... what is happening to me??

I decided today that I wanted to bake something "Thanksgiving-y" , so I went on an adventure to find canned pumpkin, pie-something, not sure, but needless to say, I was denied. Not having a kitchen of my own to destroy while baking, I needed something not terribly complicated. We left the store with the fixings for an AWESOME turkey sandwich for tomorrow and some chocolate chip cookie mix.  It isn't Memaw's house... but it will do :).



No comments:

Post a Comment