Monday, November 12, 2012

Operation "Hey November!"


Spring is definitely in the air!  Things are blooming, the weather has taken a quick turn to almost hot, and my allergies are ever present.  I noted in my last post the bizarre sight of Christmas and Summer being prepared for simultaneously, but I neglected to mention the fact that since Thanksgiving doesn't exist (obviously) that means that Christmas trees are already in full swing around the city-- next to blooming flowers.  It may be new, but I love it.  I can't wait to decorate for Christmas and celebrate in shorts.  (Not that I have never done that growing up in Texas... depending on the year).  

The end of October marked the beginning of Oktoberfest in a small German-influenced community right outside of Santiago.  We took advantage of the nice weather (and long weekend) to visit the Fiesta de la Cerveza.  We listened to some polka, including but not limited to a chorus of Ein Prosit (again with a Spanish accent), ate giant Choripans, and obviously, tried a few beers from around the world.  We took a bus , adorned with shoe polish that said "Fiesta Cerveza" that cost the equivalent of $2 to the event with thousands of other people from Santiago.  It was hot, but it was definitely a good day.  
 

Here we are sporting our straps that made it possible to carry our Schoperos hands-free (obviously a necessity).  



Michael ended up buying two different glasses because one had dragons and the other had a buffalo--- need I say more?  I don't think so.  



It was really hot, so of course the masses flocked to the firemen spraying water in the air.  We weren't able to get terribly close, but close enough to cool off a little bit.  


My second Spanish class finished at the end of October, and we the others in my class decided that we wanted to continue with a conversation class for the next three weeks.  Since this class is only three days a week, I now have Tuesday and Thursday completely free.  We spent last Tuesday visiting what I have been told by many is the best park in Santiago, Parque Quinta Normal.  We spent about an hour on the bus, but the park and museums within the park were definitely worth it.  I know we will definitely go back to see the things we missed or just lounge under one of the many trees.  

Paddle boats in Quinta Normal.



A mid-afternoon soccer game.



 While in the park we visited three different museums.  The Museo Ferroviaro, Museo de Ciencia y Tecnologia, and Museo Nacional de Historia Natural.

I forced him to pose in the train.

"This time with flash"

There were multiple schools on field trips at each of the museums that day--- I never saw an adult that was in charge.  I did see plenty of ninos climbing on top of trains.  This one is calm.


United States Astronauts in the Science Museum.  USA! USA!

Since Tuesday was quite the important day for America, we spent the evening supporting our home country. First, we had Taco Bell for dinner.  Second, we saw the new James Bond (maybe that supports Britain, not sure...) and then we met up with the Gringo population of Santiago at a small bar in Providencia to watch the States turn blue... and red :).  Honestly, for awhile it felt like we were in the States... (not home in Texas because of the cheers for Obama, but in the States just the same).  There was English all around and fun to be had.  

All eyes were affixed on the TV screen as 10% then 15% of the votes were counted.  When did this become such a spectacle?  No importa... I loved it.  



On the way home, I did my best "God Bless America" dance at the bus stop-- I was dressed (only half on purpose) like the 4th of July

Antonia (my first Spanish teacher in Chile) turned 3!  We gave her sidewalk chalk and a xylophone, sticking strictly to the rule that you buy other people's kids messy and noisy toys.   She's so stinking cute.


And then.. there was another hash.  It was great fun.  I inherited a trumpet thing... more on that later.  

Photo stolen from Jess.

My mom sent us a package full of awesome that we received today.  She paid an embarrassing amount of money in shipping costs, and everything was covered with a slight film of pancake mix, but now I can make pumpkin pancakes, and eat Rotel by the spoonful :).   Thanks Mom (and Dad and sister I'm sure).  


Tomorrow is Tuesday the 13th which in Latin American countries is like Friday the 13th.  They say "En 13 y martes, ni te cases ni te embarques", which basically means.. Stay inside.  Luckily, we have an entire box of junk food to keep us company.  




No comments:

Post a Comment