Monday, December 31, 2012

Tu eres loca o no?


Here in Chile, the process of finding a job is a little different than at home.  In Texas, looking for a teaching job includes checking out TMEA.com, hearsay from friends, and ultimately filling out a school district application that takes 4 hours.  Job openings are advertised, albeit sometimes for no reason, but with enough internet digging you can at least know what is going on. 
Who you know is important everywhere.  Who I knew is the reason I had keys to my band hall at Alamo before I had actually interviewed with anyone or even met the principal.  In Chile, who you know is everything.  They call it “pituto”, and it is more valuable than any degree or experience it seems. 
Almost immediately upon arrival I missed teaching.  (I say almost to be completely honest).  It isn’t that I haven’t enjoyed free time to explore a new place and be a student again, but it was REALLY weird not having kids to call my own when September rolled around.  I knew that even if it wasn’t going to be possible to teach band here, I needed to get back in a classroom.
I was so nervous for my first interview, realizing I’d never actually had a proper job interview since interviewing with Applebee’s in college.  Actually, even that one went something like this:

“So you have no restaurant experience?”
“No… but I’m pretty good with people”
“Yeah… ok… you start Monday.”

At my first interview, the interviewer, instead of asking me questions, read my resume aloud to me, pointing out that I was obviously a qualified applicant.  Then I left, realizing that yet again, that wasn’t an interview, but more of me saying “yes” when they said… “So you really had 130 kids in ONE class”, and “you’ve dealt with kids with learning disabilities before?” and “You organized concerts?  Wow!”.  Somehow that school thought my experience teaching 7th and 8th grade band meant I would be an AWESOME 2nd grade teacher.  I was excited.
THEN… because Michael went on a job interview, and happened to talk a little small talk with his psychological interviewer (getting there) who happened to know that another school was looking for a Native English speaker with teaching experience, I got another interview… this time at an actual Chilean school.
This interview took place in both English and Spanish, and I even had to actually answer a few questions this time.  The really interesting part was the next thing…
Before Chilean companies will hire you, they send you to another “psychological interview” firm to confirm that you aren’t nuts, I guess.  I had no idea what to expect, other than the fact that the email said it would take 3 hours… and it did.

First, I received a three-page questionnaire in Spanish, and was taken to a small cubicle to complete it.  After the first page, I emerged from my cave to ask the girl if I had to answer everything in Spanish.  She said yes, and then I said no way.  My reasoning:  I speak Spanish like a child, and I didn't want that written down forever in a file somewhere.  It is one thing to answer questions and just worry about communicating, but it is quite another for your bad grammar and child-like vocabulary to be permanently accessible.  They agreed to allow me to answer questions like “What about your last job makes you qualified for the job you are applying for?”
After that, I got to answer 80 plus questions that were “fill in the shape”, as in, squiggly triangle plus circle equals squiggly circle, so square plus triangle equals… what?
THEN, and only then we got to the interview part, where I proceeded to answer job related questions in Spanish, occasionally sneaking in an English word when my vocabulary failed, and honestly feeling decent for the first time in awhile about my Spanish progress. 
Then it was time for the ink blots.  (Yeah, those are actually real.)  I don’t know what those things can possibly tell about your psyche (I’m not trained obviously) other than if you constantly see death, blood, or marijuana leaves.  This went something like this( but mostly in Spanish):

Ink Blot 1:
Lady: “What do you see?”
Me: “Ummm.. a bat”
Lady: “How is it a bat?”
Me: “Well… it has wings, and a head, and well, maybe it is a no-legged bat”
Lady: “Ok, what else do you see?”
Me: “Something else?”
Lady: “Yes, what else could it be?”
Me: seriously reaching… “A president looking in the mirror”

Ink Blot 2:
Lady: “ What about this one?”
Me: “Lungs, like inside the body, like the things that let you breathe (just incase my Spanish word for lung was wrong”
Lady: “What else?”
Me: “Seriously?  Uhhh.. Elephants, at the circus”
Lady: “You don’t see people?”
Me: thinking that this is totally a trick question… answering apprehensively “Nooooo…”

Ink Blot 3:
Same old crap..
Me: “A guy wearing a bowtie” (I didn't know the word for bowtie, so then I did some charades)
Lady: “Or?”
Me… “I guess it could be Germany??”

Ink Blot 4
Me:  In English now, because I’m tired.  “A trophy.”
Lady: ????
Me:  “hmm maybe a goblet
Lady: ???
Me: needing to change my answer to something I could either say or describe in Spanish.. “Like in Church… when you take communion” (Winning answer!!)

There were like 5 more… all I know is that ignored the red blots, and tended to see internal organs, animals, and outlines of countries (perhaps I secretly love geography, or want to visit a country where I can see bats AND breathe at the same time… who knows).  It was the most bizarre experience, and I think I will never feel nervous for an interview again, because I was able to prove I wasn't crazy, while speaking a language that I don’t actually speak… or maybe I proved that I am just crazy enough to make a good teacher… either way.

I start in March!  I am going to be in charge of a new “English Resource” room, coming up with nontraditional activities to help students learn their English. The possibilities are so endless, and I’m pumped!!  They also found it stupid to hire me and not make me a part of the music department as well, which means I am hopefully going to help that expand as well (mainly from a performance stand point… music class teaches a lot of music history here from what I understand).  I look forward to putting on a spectacle of English songs!!  I will be the only Native English speaker at the school, which means all of my correspondence with teachers and parents will be in Spanish even though I will ONLY speak English to the kids.  I can’t wait to be a teacher again!  I can’t wait to learn more about education in a new place!  I can’t wait to become a better teacher in general!  I am so excited about a new challenge !!  More than anything, I’m so excited to realize that I really did choose the right career path because I am so excited.  After feeling slightly burned out at times, I still don’t feel completely me when I’m not teaching.  I can’t wait to pick the brains of my elementary school and English teaching friends and colleagues and maybe even connect our students through Skype! 

Basically, Am I crazy or not??  I’m sure some people would answer with a definitive YES!  But according to the ink blots, I’m just crazy enough! 

No comments:

Post a Comment